Subscribe:

Monday 20 August 2012

Blackberry wine

This one is slightly different recipe than currant wine. I have (or actually Dona has collected) 1.7kg blackberry fruits from next door wild allotment plot, although they can be collected in parks, train lines, common lands etc.. they are everywhere. It is important to collect dry fruits on warm sunny day to ensure maximum sugar content.

Since blackberry is wilder fruit than currant fruit I treat it in different manner, there may be more "guests" (maggots etc...) growing in blackberry fruits and fermentation needs to be slower. Firstly fruits were crushed using trusted potato masher in the bucket. Then, learned with experience I have added 3lts of boiling water (I am preparing one gallon of wine). After cooling down next morning must was treated with a spoonful of pectolase to help breaking down celuloidal structure of fruit.
Tomorrow morning, after 24 hrs I will add a spoon full of yeast and yeast nutrient. Before adding sugar I will strain must through nylon sieve to get rid of rogue elements. Mixture has very impressive bright colour and should develop nice bright sparkling dark red colour once bottled, I will report on it's progress. Currently I am on lookout for sweet plums to start this year plum wine, perhaps trip to Garsons farm is in order.

0 comments:

Post a Comment